Blueberry Lemonade cupcakes with a sprinkle center!

Hello Fellow food lovers!
We are back for a second round of lemon blueberry bliss this week. Its me, birth giver of the Quinnie Doo, here to tell you all about Quinnies Cupcakes!
The original recipe is for Strawberry Leomonade Cupcakes but I realized that I had an abunance of blueberries left over from last weekend so, blueberry lemonade cupcakes it was going to be. Quinn loves all things blueberry and lemonade so I knew they would be a hit with her and as long as she is in the kitchen cooking she always has a smile on her face and is eager to help. We meant to make this yesterday but we had a Block Party to attend at our apartment complex so we were out and about most of the day :) Yay for fun in the sun!

Lets get right into the recipe. (I try not to give too much fluff leading up to the recipe itself, if you would like more fluff about Quinn, myself or our lives let me know)

For the cupcakes you will need:
1 1/4 cups flour
1/1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup milk (I use lactose free milk as Quinn gets an upset tummy from reqular milk)
zest of 2 lemons

Frosting:
1-2 oz freeze dried blueberries (I only froze mine which gave my frosting a thinner texture)
4 oz room temperature butter
8 oz room temperature cream cheese
3 1/2-4 cups powdered sugar (I dont like the taste of powdered sugar in frosting so I used 3 1/2 cups only so there was still a good cream cheese flavor in the frosting)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
zest of 1 lemon

**You will need 3 lemons for this recipe. I bought 4 just in case and now I have an extra one hanging around. Any one want it? lol**

preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together.
In a separate bowl whisk eggs until combined.
Add sugar and mix until combined
**I used my kitchenaid to assist with all the mixing. On of my best friends convinced me I needed it, she was NOT wrong at all, so its going to put in the work for me!**
Once sugar and eggs are combined add vanilla and oil. Mix until combined.
Add half of the flour mixture and mix.
Add milk, lemon zest and lemon juice. Mix.
Add remaining flour and mix until combined.

Pour batter into lined cupcake pan.
Bake for 12-15 minutes. (Mine took more like 16 minutes to reach that light golden brown color)

Frosting:
Pulse freeze dried blueberries in a processor. (I used Quinns smoothie maker. It didnt work to well so I added some of the cream cheese that I was using for the frosting so that it all would break down easier. Maybe that is why my frosting was a little thinner? For some reason it seems ligter than most cream cheese frostings I have had though, so I am not mad at all lol.)
Mix cream cheese and butter until smooth.
Sift powdered sugar and add to butter and cream cheese.
Add vanilla.
split into two bowls.
Add zest of lemon to one and blueberry mixture to another.
On a piece of plastic wrap, spread the lemon cream cheese frosting in a line. Right next to it spread the blueberry frosting.
Roll the plastic wrap over on its self and insert into a piping bag with the tip you will be using to frost the cupcakes already fitted.
Now its time to frost those bad boys.


I took an extra step in this whole recipe and I cut out small portions of the middle of the cupcakes and I filled them with Quinns favorite sprinkles for an added surprise for her. She was thrilled when she saw them. Once she got over the excitement of the sprinkles she took a bite of the cupcakes, clapped, danced, gave me a thumbs up and a big hug. I believe it is safe to say that these were a home run and we will be making them again soon for whatever famil function comes up next. :)
I believe this recipe will be good with any berries as this was supposed to be a strawberry lemonade reicpe at first, but with a few changes and bumps in the road we made this one delicious!!

**Always add love to everything you do!**

From our kitchen to yours,
Lets eat! :)

Comments

Popular Posts