Happy Birthday French Bread



Helllooo there fellow food lovers. It appears an apology is in order. I veered away from the course of this blog. It is..... MONDAY!! I do, however, have a really good reason as to why we were not able to complete the latest episode of cooking with Quinnie on the weekend like we always do.
Come on in, pour your self some chocolate milk and get comfy!
This is the look of pure excitement on the face of my little velociraptor. She got to go see her very first movie theater movie. Secret Life of Pets 2. She did so much better than we all thought she would. She was thrilled and had the biggest popcorn I could find! It was a great experience for the whole Addams Family ❤
The whole Addams Family. The birth giver, the Velociraptor herself, The amazing TT, Unkl Wall and the Bubby.

Sunday was when the cooking was to happen. But certain plans took too much time and the Amazing TT and I got home too late to be able to start the cooking process. TT is Quinns favorite person. She does no wrong. It just so happens that today, June 24th, is the TTs birthday! Knowing that I would have to work on her birthday we planned Sunday so that it was her day! :)
Back to Sunday. I took the bestie, Quinns TT, to get a birthday tattoo. Of course I got one too. Then it was out to dinner to Applebees. As you can tell we did not have a lot of time to make some goodies. We decided that Monday would have to do, after work.
We would make some french bread. So that we could cut it up and make garlic cheesey bread for TT as it is one of her favorites!! It was really simple and we literally had everything needed in the pantry. Flour, yeast, sugar, salt, oil and water. (The water was not in the pantry of course.) I love these minimal ingredients recipes that are so easy but so fun to make with the mini. 

Lets get right to it!

You will need:
2 tablespoons yeast
3 tablespoons sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup oil
6 1/2 cups flour
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup warm water
2 cups hot water











  • Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water
  • In separate bowl, combine hot water, sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups of flour. Mix together and add yeast mixture.
  • Add remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time. I only needed 2 1/2 cups of the remaining flour. Watch while the mixer is running, once the dough begins to pull away from the sides you will know it is ready and can stop mixing.
  • Let sit for 10 minutes.
  • Separate dough into 3 pieces on a floured surface. Roll each piece out into a 9x12 rectangle. Roll up those rectangles like a cinnamon roll!
  • Place those three rolls on a greased or lined sheet.
  • Cut 3-4 diagonal cuts into the dough.
  • Brush beaten egg all over the dough and let sit for 30-40 minutes.
  • Bake at 375 for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown.
This bread turned out AMAZING! I was completely shocked at how fluffy and soft it was!! We used two of the three loafs for garlic cheesey bread (see below for how we did it!) and there is still one left and I think some yummy sandwiches are going to be made with it!! 

For the garlic cheesey bread I used my garlic press to press 6 cloves of garlic. (Dont judge, we love garlic!! I have not ran into a vampire yet. Coincidence? I think not!) Mix into softened butter. Spread on sliced french bread and top with cheese. (We used mexican blend as that is what we had). Bake until cheese is melted! :) SUPER YUM!!

This recipe was easy, fun and a great learning experience for Quinnie. She learned how to use a rolling pin and how to flour the counter before you start to roll out dough. She is also learning how to grab out the stool that she stands on while we cook. 
This stool is older than me. Its been in my family for who knows how long. It was my favorite spot to sit when I was her age. I used it to help my mom and grand mother in the kitchen when I was her age. It has been reupholstered many times over the years and is in desperate need of another new face. I will have to get Quinnies Nana on board so we can go and get some new fabric and give this old girl a face lift. She has many more years on her. I cant wait to see what else we make with the help of this little piece of furniture. Knowing that my mini is learning the same basic skills that I learned 27 years ago, on the same piece of furniture is really something that hits you right in the feels. 🖤


When I say, "Quinnie, lets cook!" She says "Cook? YES LETS COOK!!!" And goes to grab her little foot stool. Oh my heart!!!


From our kitchen to yours!!
Lets eat!!







I just had to do it. She is my velociraptor, and it is the sign off for this blog!

Her TTs new ink! She is the bravest most amazing woman I know! Love you babes.



Comments

Popular Posts